QA Lab Technician
QA Lab Technician
Position: Quality Assurance Laboratory Technician
Location: Portland, ME
Employment Type: Full-time
Join Oakhurst Dairy's exciting and growing team!
It's time to join New England's foremost dairy company with a 96-year history of leadership in the industry. Delivering the "Natural Goodness of Maine" since 1921, Oakhurst Dairy is a company you can be proud to work for. Located in Portland, Maine, our company is one of New England's key employers offering:
* Local management
* Excellent compensation and benefits and
* Pride in the product you will represent
It's about more than milk -- it's our heartfelt pledge to people throughout New England to honor what Maine stands for -- by offering the purist, freshest, most delicious products, while standing up for what's right, for our customers, for farmers, and for the environment. All of our milk is sourced from local farms in Maine and our facilities meet the highest quality-control standards. We produce fresh wholesome milk and dairy products which are backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
In 2014 Oakhurst was acquired by Dairy Farmers of America (DFA), a national dairy farmer-owned cooperative. Oakhurst is a wholly owned subsidiary of DFA and continues to operate independently.
The Quality Assurance Lab Technician position at Oakhurst Dairy provides an opportunity to contribute to the production of the highest quality dairy products in New England. The individual will be required to maintain Oakhurst’s stringent quality standards and enforce them throughout the company. This will be accomplished by performing laboratory testing and routinely conducting facility and supplier audits. Candidates for this position must:
- Have a strong work ethic,
- Be able to work in individual and team environments,
- Be able to learn quickly and adapt to changing situations,
- Communicate clearly and
- Enforce food safety requirements across multiple departments.
This position is full-time at 40 hours/week. Some weekend work is required. Hours may vary.
- Perform bacteriological, chemical, and physical tests on raw and finished goods to meet quality compliance.
- Conduct product sampling at various points through the supply chain.
- Perform microscopy on incoming raw milk.
- Perform packaging evaluations to ensure conformity to standards.
- Inspect the plant periodically and regularly for compliance with Oakhurst Dairy and the US Public Health regulations.
- Inspect the plant cleaning and sanitizing procedures periodically and regularly.
- Evaluate product temperatures throughout the production process.
- Troubleshoot quality issues with production and quality personnel.
- Recommend changes or improvements to the laboratory procedures, plant inspections, process control or cleaning and sanitizing programs.
- Enforce quality standards, GMP’s, SOP’s and the food safety plan.
- To keep the QA Manager informed of all quality results and issues.
- Conduct supplier and farm inspections.
- Maintain and enforce the HACCP and SQF plans.
- Obtain FDA certification for IMS testing.
- Attend and participate in the quality meetings.
Minimum of AS degree in Dairy/Food Science, Biological Science or related field – BA/BS Degree and/or minimum 3-5 years QA/QC background in a dairy/food lab or equivalent preferred.
Experience with Microscopy, MS Office and computers are required.
Some of the benefits that our full-time employees enjoy include:
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Savings Account
- Health Savings Account
- Paid Short & Long Term Disability
- 401K with employer contributions
- Paid Life Insurance
- 8 paid holidays plus personal time
- Paid vacation, sick and personal time
- Educational reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program
- Fitness membership reimbursement
Please submit your resume online. If you have questions about the position or would like to speak to someone at Oakhurst prior to submitting your application, you may email email@example.com or call 207-772-7468.